The Florida Wellcare Alliance was formed in 1997 by a group of physicians concerned about the
economic pressures placed on physicians by the government and insurance companies. They
believed some patients were not receiving good medical care in Citrus County, as some physicians
were providing too many medical services, tests and procedures for their patients to offset financial
losses resulting from Medicare and managed care fee reductions. There were concerns that needed
services might be withheld due to restrictions placed on physicians by insurance companies.
The founding physicians recognized that when someone other than the patient was responsible for
paying the costs of their medical care, problems were created. In order to counter these problems,
the government and insurance companies needed a system to "manage" physicians and patients,
thus, a third party was introduced. The ideal setting for good health care was further distorted.
The founders of the Florida Wellcare Alliance believed there were many physicians in Citrus County
dedicated to the principles of patient-oriented, cost-effective medical treatment. They knew many
physicians who placed their patient's needs and best interests above their own, and wished to
recommend these physicians to the citizens of Citrus County. The Florida Wellcare Alliance continues
to seek out and join these fine physicians in an Alliance to aid in reducing costs, and encourage them
to continue providing excellent medical care despite today's regulated environment. Each partner of
the Florida Wellcare Alliance commits to the principles of excellence to which the Alliance adheres.
Every partner receives approval by a committee of their peers, and participates in an annual peer
review evaluation of the Alliance partners.
To be considered for membership, a physician must have been in active practice in Citrus County for
a minimum of two years.
WHAT WE OFFER MEMBERS:
- Discounted Malpractice Insurance program
- Workers Compensation Benefit Program
- Investment opportunities
- Two dinner meetings with speakers per year
- CME credit available for educational programs
- Educational Staff Seminars
- Informative patient newsletters
- All members are listed on our website with a link to the practice website
- Advocate the traditional patient-physician relationship
- Find cost savings for practices (such as discounted Coding Books)
- Information on legislation and trends affecting practices
- Develop "best business" principles
- Identify risk management strategies
- Foster communication among Florida Wellcare Alliance partners